Thursday, September 18, 2008

Summer's End


One thing that completes a summer for me is watching some kind of show from the lawn of some spacious amphitheater. I don't know why, but that just seems quintessentially summer-y to me. It's right up there with chlorine, barbeques, fireworks, rainstorms, late nights, and crickets. Yeah, I love a good amphitheater. 

This weekend, I had the privilege of traveling to San Diego with my husband and sister-in-law. It was one last hurrah before Brent had to start back to school. We stayed with my wonderful cousins and, though it was a short trip, it served it's purpose: primarily, to get us out of Bakersfield and into some fresher air. 

So, we drove down Friday and stayed up way too late talking and laughing with my cousins. Oh, and there was some singing. Yea, we had a karaoke moment. There usually is with Daniel.

Saturday morning we slept in way too late, ate delicious bagels for breakfast/brunch, and then Scott was good enough to take us to the beach for a much needed splash. I know that there is a deep-rooted place in my heart for the beach that I'm sure I inherited from my mother. 
My mother would have loved to join us on that trip to the beach. Unfortunately, there weren't many waves that day. Sure, there were little breakers, but they were puny. Scott would have taken us surfing if they had been bigger. It was an uneventful jaunt to the beach, but I think I speak for all there when I attest that it was much-needed.

That night we went to the Maroon 5/Counting Crows concert. The only problem was that someone in the Counting Crows was ill . . . so it turned out to be just a Maroon 5 concert. They put on an incredible show. It was a fun, relaxing evening. Good music, good company. I just wish the cousins could have come - too bad they all had prior engagements.

Since it ended so early, we decided to head back to Bakersfield that night right after the concert. That way we'd be sure to make it back to Bakersfield before Church. Brent and I are both teachers now and we didn't want to risk not making it in time. I think we'll definitely schedule more time in for our next trip to San Diego. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, that sounds like a blast, but it's a real bummer that you missed the Counting Crows, I love them. Sounds like you guys are just doing great in California. Now, don't I remember a message or something from you lately saying you're going to be in the Valley sometime in the near future? My brain is so scattered, I can't remember if I saw that or not. We should get a party together!

    ReplyDelete