Monday, September 15, 2008

Hey look, I'm a quarter of a century


The night before my birthday, we went out for Italian. I don't always like to go out for Italian food because I feel like I can make just as good for less than what they'll charge me. Of course, I'm always pleased to find exceptions to this rule (like that delicious little place in San Francisco that we found), but exceptions are few and far between. In those cases, I'm just happy to be out enjoying the company of whoever I'm with. This was an enjoying Brent's company night, but we did get a live accordion out of the evening. It was a fun night. 




The, for the day of my birthday, my wonderful husband took me to see the Sequoias. They are giants of trees. I have never seen anything like them in my life. It was a wonderful day!

This picture is evidence that there are clouds in California. I had forgotten such a thing could be!
This just made me giggle. Actually, it still makes me giggle. I am wondering if perhaps it was once used as a stand to sell burgers or something. Too random. 
I may have an inferior camera (and I long for the day that I have a real one and learn how to use it properly), but in the meantime I am pleasantly surprised by what my little Kodak can produce. Maybe there was just really good lighting . . .

We still wonder what could cause a knot that big in a tree that big. Look at how strong my husband is!

Meet General Sherman. This is the biggest tree on earth. It's not necessarily the tallest tree or the tree with the biggest circumference, but it has the most mass of any tree on earth (1,487 cubic meters or 52,510 cubic feet). I was in awe to see something so large. Last year it's largest branch fell off. The largest branch was as wide in diameter as my husband is tall (that would make it 6'8"). Incredible! 
I can never properly take these "hold-the-camera-arm's-length-away-and-hope-you-get-everyone-in-the-frame" shots. Good thing I have Brent. One day, I'll have to subject you to my failures. They're pretty funny. 
"You all look like little ants from up here!" We really are infinitesimal in comparison.

One thing that really struck me was how much lichen there was on all the trees except for the sequoias. It looked like a veritable sea of green if you were standing on the north side of all those pines. And yet, nothing seemed to grow on the sequoias. I'm figuring it has something to do with the bark of the sequoias . . . the park ranger I asked was rather condescending and didn't give me a clear answer.
Impressive wingspan!

Yes, this is three trees growing together to form one giant base. I wish I could be around when they finally truly fused.

The General Sherman from afar. Here you can see the whole tree. You know it's old because the top is forked. I guess sequoias grow to a point like other conifers, but when they start aging they stop growing tall and just add to their girth (not unlike some people I know). Then their tops fork. 

After enjoying spending time among the giants, we played in one of the rivers leading into Three Rivers. It was a refreshing end to the day. This is the lovely view from the valley. Thanks Brent, for a happy birthday!

5 comments:

  1. Those are totally awesome pics! We have lived in Cali for two years and haven't been to see the trees yet! Your birthday pics are pretty cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the Sequoias! Its so pretty there ♥ Happy late Birthday :0) Thats cool that you went to san fran..do you live near there? were only a couple hours away. Anywho thanks for letting me stalk your blog! Feel free to stalk mine ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, gorgeous pictures! I am hoping to get Jayson to take me to the Sequoias or the Redwoods (same thing?)next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, they're not precisely the same thing (a common misconception to people not from around here . . . I confused them too). They are in the same family of trees, but when people talk about the Redwoods, they're talking about a grove up north of San Fransisco. They'e taller but not as thick. Cousins. The sequoias are in the middle of the state. Both are gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen those trees are amazingly huge! I'm still envious that you live in California and I don't. But that's ok. You look fabulous by the way! Hope life is great for you!

    ReplyDelete