Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Just some of the things I love about Fall


As Monday marked the Autumnal Equinox, I took a moment to reflect on why I love Fall and the month of October in general. It's just a happy time for me. Always. So, gentle reader, please humor me as I share my musings here.

  • It's the sunset of the year, when the air turns to gold and the leaves turn to flame. I love the symbolism of death that commences with Fall. 
  • I love crunching said, flame-colored leaves. And pressing them in books. But mostly crunching them.
  • Gingerbread
  • Any kind of homemade bread
  • The way I crave books like The Witch of Blackbird Pond and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
  • New pencils
  • BYU Football
  • Pumpkins
  • Sweaters and jackets
  • Mittens
  • Boots
  • The smell of woodsmoke on crisp air
  • Crisp air in general
  • I love the way the vibrant colors contrast with the ever-darkening sky. I love the heavy clouds that usually start to come this time of year. Not so much in my current locale, but definitely in my previous Utah home.
  • The smell of fallen leaves
  • General Conference
  • By that same token, I love how this time of year always seems to be a time of reflection for me. Reflection on the last year of my life, on my current situation, my weaknesses and my strengths that used to be weaknesses. On the friends that I've gained. On my standing with God. Lots to reflect on. Maybe it's that preparation for renewal - the death of the old self. I tend to make more resolutions at this time of year than I ever do in January. 
  • The smell of baked goods. They just smell better in the Fall. You can't argue that.
  •  

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely Jenn. I love autumn for all those reasons and more. It's my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Happy Birthday recently! Also your hair is so cute short! Love it!

    ReplyDelete