Monday, November 5, 2007

I'm not lost, just undiscovered

You know, part of going to a wonderful school full of wonderful people who all do wonderful things means that your view on life becomes skewed. The skewing could affect any number of issues. I will be the first to admit that my take on life, and in part on myself, has been colored largely by my college experiences.

I'm not sharing this experience because I'm looking for sympathy or reassurance. I share it merely as a way of showing my perspective shift. With that preface, let me say that I have many fabulous friends who are male. I'm quite grateful for their friendship. Despite this fact and for whatever reason (I don't really want to conjecture . . . that just gets messy), I have never really been much of a dater. This is just one of those facts that I have come to terms with over the years. It's not that I felt unnoticed, rather, I felt like I was overlooked.

I went dancing this weekend in California with a group of new friends. Maybe it's because I was "the new girl" that I felt self-conscious and on-the-spot, like my every move, comment, and laugh was being weighed on some unseen balance. Once we got to the dance, I was asked to dance right away (amazing what those three little words "do you waltz?" can do for a girl), and I didn't lack for partners throughout the night. For the first time in my life, I felt sought after. This was a new thing to me, and to be completely honest, I liked it. Maybe the change of scene (or "seen" if you stick with the vision theme here) will not be so bad. Regardless, I think I'll be going dancing again soon.

2 comments:

  1. I love experiences such as these. I was never much of a dater myself, but apparently that didn't matter too much in the long run! I hope you have a fabulous time the next time you go dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Dancing Queen! What a fun evening you must have had! You'll always be a Hot Mamma in my eyes!

    ReplyDelete