Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A shift

Gravity has shifted.

Not gravity in the sense of the moon and the tides - more like my personal center of gravity has shifted, and is now forever altered. 

Physically, my center feels lower. There's definitely a noticeable bulge in the region of my lower abdomen. I feel a new but not unpleasant pressure there if I lay on my stomach - that is what gave the shift away. It changed overnight. I'd had a small "baby bump" there for a while but not enough for the average bystander to suspect a reason for my weight gain (read: "spare tire"). 

Emotionally, I'm noticing a smaller, subtler, yet definite shift. My hands wander to my abdomen (and with them, my thoughts) - as if to occasionally reassure us both. I'm beginning to think more about this new little person my body is busily preparing an earthly home for. What will this person look like? What kind of personality will he/she have? My questions are quickly becoming numberless.

All the while, I hope I can be a good mother. I'm feeling an intellectual and a spiritual shift in my world as I try to prepare myself for, what I'm sure is going to be a hands-on training experience. I haven't seen the Mom manual in the mail yet, so hands-on is all it could be. 

I'm realizing that no aspect of my life is left untouched. It's as if I am no longer the center but have started to orbit like the moon. I'm sure this is just the beginning, but I like where this is going.  

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing?! Can't wait to hear what you're having!! Hope you continue to have a happy and healthy pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all so true. you are very good at putting it into words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn- You have such a gift in using the right words to describe so beautifully your new journey. I am so excited for you. Please keep me posted as soon as you know the sex of the child. You will be an incredible mom. Sounds like the spirit is already preparing you. Your whole world is going to change. What a selfless sacrifice to embark upon. God bless you- I love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to be the most amazing mother! I am so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! You are going to be a great mother!!! Jenn you do find the right words I love it the description... some day I look forward to what you are experiencing :)

    ReplyDelete