Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Developments

This post may be a little picture-ful. I'd apologize, but I'm not really that sorry! I know that if I were to update more regularly, I wouldn't get stuck with a post full of pictures like that, but well, it happens, right?

First up: Mother's Day. This year was my first to celebrate mother's day as a mother-to-be. It was quite the paradigm shift for me. I like the new layering to my relationship with my own mother - almost a sisterhood. I hope this title of "mother" is one that I can grow into. As of now, I feel grossly inadequate.

My wonderful husband got me a colorful bunch of tulips for Mother's Day. I love tulips - they are happy flowers. Unfortunately, they don't stay happy in temperatures like we have had this month, but they brought joy to our table for several days!

I went to the high school choir concert last week to support a good number of my laurel class. They sounded wonderful! It made me miss my days of singing with others - I miss having music in my life like that. 

I wasn't the only one to enjoy the music. For the first time, I felt the stirrings of life in my womb. The louder the music got, the more that little baby moved. I was so awestruck, it was as if I didn't even hear the music I was focusing so intently on the small sensation that I wasn't sure I hadn't imagined. A magical experience!

Jessica
Me & Amber
Amber & Macy
The bump (at 20 weeks)

Today was a monumental day. Today was the first day I've had to use a rubber-band because I could not button my pants. Initially, I had to remind myself that it was a good thing - this burgeoning of life. It's not that I'm just gaining weight and shape. My body is working in overdrive to create a new earthly home for a choice spirit to inhabit. It's an honor! 

Baby bump at 21 weeks (sorry, I had to take this one by myself since Brent and I are rarely home for two minutes together, but you get the idea)
Bump appears different from different angles, but it's there alright!

Ultrasound pictures at last! The still frames really do not capture the incredible experience of seeing your baby alive and moving. It's an overwhelming experience. 

This first one is when baby is about 13 weeks old. 

The next pictures are from our 20 week ultrasound. I was floored by what they could actually see. A four-chambered heart, kidneys, spine, developing brain. Because I hadn't really felt any movement yet when these were taken, it was a relief to me to see someone moving in there. I had been worried!

Here are baby's feet. The ultrasound technician said they look like big feet already. Oh dear! What have I gotten myself into?
Here you can see the shape of baby's face. It's amazing to me that there are already teeth forming in the skull. 
Baby was playing with it's feet. Here you can see the little arm reaching up to grab corresponding little toes. So sweet!
Baby was so cooperative for all the shots. The technician was excited because they don't always cooperate. I think the tech got a picture of every structure she needed to see. It was the first time I was proud of my little one. 
Baby was so cooperative that we even got to learn the gender of our baby. Are you ready? It's a boy! He wasn't as good about holding still for those pictures, but she did get a definitive shot of him. Brent was so convinced that we were having a girl, that I loved the look of shock on his face as he absorbed that information. My first thought was, "alright, mission prep it is!" We are both thrilled to have this little guy be joining our family in just a few short months. (I say short because the last 5 have flown by). Now to prepare for his arrival . . . and pick a name. We have favorites, but I have the feeling we'll have to see him before we can decide who he is. 

11 comments:

  1. BAAAAAAAAAH YOU'RE GOING TO BE THE BEST MOM EVER!!!!!!*

    Congratulations!!!

    * Superfluous comments are sincere and are not to be taken as exaggeration. Please note that said comments do not take into account the author's own mother nor the mother of the author's future children. Side effect may include... oops, wong disowdoh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY, a boy!! Looks like you're following the family pattern. :) I'm so excited for you and your rubber-banded pants! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats you two! That is SO exciting and you will make awesome parents!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your little boy! And on feeling him move---that truly is exciting! I was in class the first time it happened to me and I did not pay attention to the lecture at all. I just kept making tick marks every time I felt her! I can't believe how small you are still! When I was 21 weeks I had been in maternity pants for a month (rubber band loop would never have worked!) and had gained over 15 pounds. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh a boy a boy! we were really surprised too when we found out we were having a boy. we actually asked them to double check.

    welcome to rubberbandhood. unfortunately I still have to do that with one pair of my pants...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for baby boys! Congrats Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the pregnancy Jenn! You look great! So glad things are going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay it's a boy! Can't wait to hear name suggestions! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY!!!! I can't wait to see you friend!!! It's been way to lonnnnng! love the pictures...I love the tulips pix!!! that pix has to go in the baby scrap book :)

    ReplyDelete