Saturday, May 16, 2009

Morro Bay

Last weekend, I had the incredible opportunity to camp and hike and play with some of the fabulous young women in my ward. We went to Morro Bay, near San Luis Obispo. I had never been to Morro Bay before. It was absolutely beautiful, and I cannot wait to return!

I loved being with the girls. I loved sleeping near the roar of the ocean (we were far enough away that it was just a low thrum, but you could feel it). I loved seeing so many different types of trees and animals. Apparently, the eucalyptus that are one of the most prevalent features of that area are not indigenous. To see huge California Condors in flight was an awesome experience. I don't think I've ever been quite that close to such an impressive wingspan. Another highlight was picking weeds for the wonderful brother who brought our gear up to his beach house for us. We'd have slept in the open on the cold ground without his gracious assistance. Weed-picking was the least we could do to say thank you. 

The following are just a few of the many pictures. I somehow failed to get any of me. Sorry! But, you can see what a great time we had. The pictures aren't exactly in chronological order, sorry!

All smiles!
The whole crew
The beautiful waterfall and pool we found on our hike.
Our fearless leader
The gorgeous mountains we hiked through. Honestly, this picture doesn't even begin to show how dense the foliage is here. (Watch out for poison oak!)
Sam was so proud to have caught this little guy. Approximately 3 seconds after this picture was taken, the lizard proceeded to jump at my face, resulting in the screams of the surrounding 7 girls. 
Morro Rock, the volcanic plug that is the outstanding feature of Morro Bay.
Happy to be going home? I think they were just happy to know that they would be getting their electronic devices (phones, ipods, etc.) back soon.
The fairy pond.

A love a happy group in the morning

We got a little silly.


Our campground. The ocean was literally steps away from here. Several dozen steps, perhaps, but steps nonetheless. 

2 comments:

  1. haha, that looks like a lot of fun! I want to go on a camp out! Especially one by the beach! Maybe you'll have to take me sometime! When I come, and do all the things you promised to do with me when I come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun trip... great pics. I wanna go...

    ReplyDelete