Saturday, June 4, 2011

They're Going To Think We're Crazy

Well, we're all moved in, and currently our home is "decorated in the style of 'Early American Cardboard,' but now that school is out for the summer, I'll have some real time to work on opening everything. The kitchen, bathroom, and washing machine are functional, so we can go on living here happily for quite some time.

The front of the house was a mess, which is to be expected when the house has been vacant for over a year. Hooray for foreclosures! The previous owner (there's a story about her for later, remind me) moved into a house across the street and a few houses down. Apparently, when she walked away from this house she took all the landscaping with her. She told us it was just going to die anyway, so she might as well take it. Funny thing is that there were several plants left that are still doing quite well. Tell me how that works.

Anyway, since she took everything and left the weeds to take over what was left of the flower beds, we spent the first Saturday in the house cleaning out all the dead plants and the weeds. Then, later this week we went to Lowe's just to get some color for the front yard. And some trees. And a lawnmower.

Anyway, we went after I got home from work late. By the time we got home, we had to feed the baby and get him in the tub. Basically, by the time his nighttime routine was complete, it was dark. We decided to plant anyway.

In the dark.

I just kept thinking about Willy Loman, out planting his garden in the middle of the night. And I thought about how our neighbors must think we're crazy. We planted with a frenzy of flung dirt and mulch. And we talked. That's probably my favorite part, the spending time with our fingers in the dirt, deep in conversation about anything. We laughed and contemplated and reminisced and planned, and all the while we created something beautiful together (not that we could see it until the next morning).

I'm sure there are some deep spiritual implications for this. I'm still pondering. In the meantime, I'm enjoying spending the time together to make our house our home. Pictures to come, eventually, . . . whenever we find our camera charger . . .

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather! I can't wait to find my camera charger so I can take some pictures!

    ReplyDelete