Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lessons From A Kindergartner

One of the joys of my job is that every other week, I get to be in charge of yard duty in the morning on the kindergarten playground. I think it's hilarious and enlightening to see life through the eyes of 5-year-olds.

This morning, I gained another pearl of wisdom. Two little guys came up to me, obviously frustrated. They both started talking at once, so I asked them to each talk one at a time. The first one indignantly points to the other and says, "He won't stop following me, and it's really bothering me!"

I looked at the other little guy, and with his arms spread wide, he appealed, "I just wanted to ask him if he wanted to play with me!"

I was expecting to have to do some mediating here, but once the first fellow heard his explanation, he said, "Oh, okay." And they walked off together with their arms around each other toward the monkey bars.

How much easier and less frustrating could our lives be if we just stop being bothered, and hear each other out?

3 comments:

  1. That is the cutest story! It's so true, children are so much wiser than we are sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching kids work it out on their own. Once their in Kindergarten I just start asking them, "Well, what do you think you could do about it?" and watch the wheels turn. Great fun.

    ReplyDelete