Sunday, April 26, 2009

And I'll Sing Once More



I splurged yesterday. I was at Costco to re-stock some key elements of our food storage, and it caught my eye. I knew it was going to be an impulse buy, but I had to give in. Since Brent was working, I did go clear the purchase with him. We've been trying to be smart with our money (read: frugal), but I just couldn't resist this buy.

I  bought my own copy of The Sound of Music. It has long been a favorite musical of mine. I remember borrowing Grandma's two-tape copy (back in the days of VHS), and watching and singing along. I always wanted a dress just like Liesel's from the "Sixteen Going On Seventeen" scene. Gorgeous countryside. Timeless music. Julie Andrews. It's a classic.

A classic that my husband has never seen before. This must be remedied! I'm so sad for him to have a childhood - no a lifetime devoid of the music of Rogers & Hammerstein. Throughout the whole drive home, snippets of various songs played in my head causing hours of smiles. Brent doesn't understand why yet, but he will.

The very first musical I ever was a part of was my elementary school production of The Sound of Music. I played the part of Brigitta. I fell in love with the whole experience. I don't know if we sounded any good, but I loved being a part of it. I enjoyed being a part of several stage productions of various musicals after that. Musicals are definitely one of my favorite things.

One of my favorite stories was told to me by a neighbor and friend from Arizona. She and her family were on a road-trip. As they were driving, they noticed that they were going to pass a car full of nuns. Their youngest son, who was probably about 4 years-old at the time, rolled down his window and signaled the car of nuns to do the same. Perplexed, his family watched as the nuns rolled their window down. Then, this innocent little boy leaned out the window and yelled, "How DO you solve a problem like Maria?" The question makes me smile every time I think about it. 

Enough talk, I'm going to indulge my whim. And I'm going to sing along!

1 comment:

  1. This movie is definitely worthy of a splurge. I have been wanting to add it to my collection for years, Jayson needs more musical exposure as well :)

    ReplyDelete