Sunday, March 1, 2009

The World Must Be Peopled! (or, "It's Not So Easy Being Green")

I can't trust my sense of smell anymore, I'm tired all the time, and my diet now consists almost solely of saltines, applesauce, and Gatorade . . . yes the classic symptoms do indicate what you're thinking. We're expecting! (Not so much as you'd notice yet, but that will come).

 I've been sick enough that we couldn't really keep it quiet anymore. I'm only about 7 weeks along, but I wanted you to hear it from me. I haven't been neglecting the blog on purpose - I just haven't had the energy to possibly think about typing by the time I get home from work. 

As for now, I'm happy to say that I am still able to work. I haven't been so queasy that that is impossible. I just have to be careful about what I eat. And I have to eat at least every two hours. It's a learning process, for sure, but we're figuring it out. Brent has been an angel and has been very patient with me in my current state. I certainly couldn't do this without him. 

While feeling simultaneously thrilled and slightly overwhelmed at this new, life-changing responsibilty, Brent and I have been doing our best to plan ahead. We see a snag already. Currently our mattress resides on the floor. No problem for now, however, in a few month's time I am going to have considerable more difficulty getting onto and off of said mattress. And so begins our quest. 

We have several options. 1) Purchase box springs or foundations for the mattress. 2) Purchase a whole new bed set. Option number 2 looks most appealing to me. According to my father I'm going to be uncomfortable anyway, so we might as well make me as comfortably uncomfortable as possible. However, we have, as they say, champagne taste on a beer budget. Beds are expensive, especially if you're getting one of any quality whatsoever. We could afford a new queen size bed. However, the other concern is that my husband is exceedingly tall, and I'm not exactly petite, myself. Thus, I wonder about the logistics of the two of us fitting on a queen sized bed. We currently have a king size mattress. Oh, options, options. 

Being the frugal-minded person I am, I would push for new foundations . . . we can save for a new bed later. Brent says he would rather have me be comfortable. We'll see what we decide. There are just so many ways to spend the money we do make that sometimes it's hard to know what is the best decision.

I know this is getting to be one of those epistle-length posts, but I felt so clever yesterday, that I just had to share. We went to a local mattress factory yesterday (to research our options for the aforementioned problem). The owner gave us the run-down on everything and told us that they actually make the beds right there. 

Me, being my cheeky self, said, "oh, so if we buy our mattress here, you'll teach us how to fold those hospital-tight corners? I've always wanted to learn how to do that!" To which he replied, "No, I don't make beds here . . . I make . . . beds . . . " and then promptly turned a lovely shade of red as he hastily explained that that was his wife's job. Oh, too funny. We all left laughing. 

18 comments:

  1. holy holy cow!!!! i'm so excited for you guys!!! hope you don't get feeling any more sick!! 2 Johnson grand babies on the way...so VERY exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH!!! i am so excited for you Jen! That is the best news I have heard all day.... What fun for you guys and for your parents to have 2 new additions to the family :) Keep breathing and eating and I want to see the prego belly when it appears- post some pictures! Yea for the start of your basketball team ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee!! Oh, that is awesome news! I'm so happy for you guys.

    As for my two cents on the bed - definitely keep the king size mattress. Sometimes our queen feels snug, and that's before the 2 kids join us.

    And here's to seconding the motion for prego belly pics, when the belly shows! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! And don't worry---the second trimester holds so much promise! Just push through another month or two and life will be so much better. Not as good as it was before you were pregnant, but better than the first trimester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Jenn-Jenn! I'm so happy for you. Your baby is lucky to have such a fun and brillant mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!! This is wonderful news!!

    I remember the mattress-on-the-floor stage of our marriage (somewhat fondly, if you can believe it). Sarah and I now sleep comfortably in a queen. I'm assuming Brent's feet hang off, anyway. Anyway, one day our home teacher needed to use our restroom, which, in order to do, you had to walk through the bedroom. He made note of our floor mattress, and within a week had an entire new bed delivered at no cost from DI. At least, I think it was new. So I have to imagine they have some available at low cost.

    My $0.02. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! That is amazing! I am SO excited for you, being pregnant is an incredible experience and having kids is even more eye opening and filled with more love than you can imagine! I LOVED my body pillow when I'm preggo and lived on milk and crackers forever! Just feed your cravings and take care of your body! Good luck and congrats to you two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yeah!!! CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so excited for you. It's such a fun experience (minus the nasuea: i lived on vanilla icecream and strawberries my 1st trimester). we got a good deal on a mattress set and frame from Sam's Club. It was a queen though, im not sure if they sell king or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big congrats! That is so very exciting. Good luck with the bed search. If it were me I would do everything possible to keep the king, we love ours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Jenny, That is exciting news! Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CONGRATS JENNY!!! Aw, you are going to be such an amazing mother. I wish you the best of luck with this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh for JOY JOY JOY! Whoo-hoo! I'm so excited for you two; I'm excited that your baby will have a cousin so close in age to play with too. Oh, you are making this Danielle Lussier very...very HAPPY! Congrats Hill fam. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We just found your blog--What great news!!! Congratulations!--sorry you're not feeling too hot though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH Jenny!! I am so VERY happy for you!! You are a born mother!! You will be amazing! And I am sure your husband will be an amazing father!

    I know you don't live in AZ, but there is a mattress place here that Karson and I got our king size from. They also make their own mattresses. It's mesamattresses.com. Anyway, good luck and seeing that your pregnant really made my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. BIG CONGRATS!!! Yay for babies... they're so fun. Hope you get to feeling better soon, popsicles are a miracle food! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hurray! Congrats and congrats. I'm glad you and Vickie are catching up to me. I think you should go get an awesome bed RIGHT NOW! Don't procrastinate the being-comfortable-ness. On that note, when your clothes get tight don't wait to go shopping for maternity clothes, either. Embrace the elastic! That's all the advice I'll give, unless you ever want more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah Fer Fer! I'm so excited. I get to be an uncle twice now! Oh, and mom made bran muffins this morning, and they weren't as bad as I remembered. I still put bran and blech in the same category though, so don't think I am going to be a connoisseur of bran muffins now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woot! Very happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete