Sunday, January 18, 2009

Head, shoulders, knees and toes

When I first found out that I'd have to be taking some induced time off from work, I was worried that I'd be bored, that I wouldn't feel like I was accomplishing anything. That thought lasted about 2 seconds. Turns out, then only thing I really missed (or thought I missed) was the paycheck. Even without the 8 to 5 obligation, I can find a myriad of ways to use my time and still feel like I should be doing more. 

So, it's nice to be back to work and not feel like I'm totally slacking for not getting everything on my to-do list done everyday. I just need to learn to make shorter lists. 

I also learned this week, as I've been back to work for the first time in 7 weeks (I'm so grateful for tender mercies!), that I missed a lot more than the paycheck. Like my co-workers, and patient interaction, and . . . paperwork? No, I'm not THAT sad of a case. But, I did miss doing my job. I also missed stories like this one:

Speech therapist: "Mr. W., you need to put your oxygen back in your nose."
Mr. W.: Looking all over his wheelchair for the oxygen tube that is dangling just under his nose.

Speech therapist: "No, Mr. W., just put it back in your nose."
Mr. W.: Pulling at cords and trying to find the oxygen tubing, to no avail.

Speech therapist: "It's right above your mouth"
Mr. W.: "I KNOW where my NOSE is!"

Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment