Thursday, October 9, 2008

Vignettes from Work

From the 85 year-old stroke patient, "Do you see this wrinkle-free 40 year-old face? It's because I never worry. I find someone else to worry for me."

****************

This next is an exchange between one of the occupational therapists and a 77 year-old stroke patient. Often, after a stroke, patients become incontinent, thus, frequently patients need adult-sized 'diapers' (for lack of a better word). 
      OT: Mrs. L., I thought you might want to try these new briefs. They're more comfortable."
      Mrs. L.: "Oh. You wear them too?"

******************

I think I may need to get my ears checked. Mrs. M. was telling me about her daughter.
     What I heard: "Actually, she's a man."
     What she said: "Actually, she's in Japan."

*******************

Nothing is quite as awkward as walking in a patient when they're confused. Especially when they're confused and they've taken off all their clothing. Thank heaven for CNAs. I don't envy them their jobs.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahahahahaha. Oh your line of work never ceases to amuse me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Senior citizens are the best, the more senior the better! Boy do I have some great stories! We'll have to have a jam session sometime where we share our favorite "senior" moments.

    ReplyDelete