Monday, October 15, 2007

Things always take longer than you think

You know, flexibility was never one of my strong points. Even when I was younger and in dance classes, I could never do the splits or anything like that. I'm usually the type of person that plans, and then sticks to that plan at all costs.

Fortunately for me, some things don't go how I've planned. Like the time I thought I wanted one of those sit-behind-a-desk-and-study-while-you're-pretending-to-work jobs on campus. Things definitely didn't work how I'd planned them, and I ended up having the best job of my life working as a research assistant for a professor I'd never met before. So many blessings came from following the course I never would have seen on my own.

Well, it's turned out that this whole graduating-and-starting-life thing that I had planned on doing in August has taken much longer than anticipated. I went home for a couple days expecting to start my new job right away. A couple of days turned into a couple of weeks - for reasons out of my control - and at first it really bothered me to reply with "I don't know" when people would ask how long I'm in town for. Now, I have returned to my Alma Mater in an attempt to actually cross all my t's and dot all my i's and have a defended thesis. But, after a month of living out of a suitcase at home, the adventure of it all has set in.

I don't know how long I'll be in Utah. Or even what stage of thesis-dom will be attained during this visit. The amazing thing is this: I don't care. I don't care that it's not done yet. I don't care that I have no idea when I'll be defending, when I'll be moving, or when my job will actually start. It's a liberating feeling. Of course, now that I'm free I'll get to grow in some other area. In the meantime, we're on month two out of the suitcase. We'll see if I can make it to three.

2 comments:

  1. What?! You are in Utah and I didn't know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's kind-of been on the DL because I've been consumed by my thesis. But, now that my defense is scheduled, I'm ready to come out of hiding.

    ReplyDelete