Thursday, February 17, 2011

Confession


I know I should like, or at least tolerate Pachabel's Canon in D. I've tried to love it, honestly, I have. In fact, when I was younger, there was a point in my life when I could have said that it was among my favorite songs. That all changed when I became a cellist. And had to play that blasted song at a wedding. Cellists do not like Canon in D. It's torture. Pure agony. I know of cellists who invent ways to keep themselves engaged in the song - including eating a banana while playing, and switching hands. I have a feeling that if I ever go mad, it will feel just like being stuck in a never-ending loop of Canon in D. Pandora actually had the audacity to try to sneak that one into my Bach playlist not once, but twice today. Disgusting.

It feels so good to finally get that off my chest.

5 comments:

  1. I played the violin, and nope, can't stand Canon. Hate it.
    Have you ever played any Arvo Pärt or Steve Reich? It's easier to engage with those composers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you could get that off your chest :) You should check out this video on YouTube, this guy feels the same way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, ladies. Venom, I'll have to check out those other composers. I'm sure there's a support group somewhere for instrumentalists who have to live through that song. I just told my husband that if I were ever held captive because I knew too much, I'd capitulate if I was forced to listen to that song repeatedly. Lara, that was hilarious. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to recommend that video, too. And Canon isn't great for violists, either, but we could never complain too much because we knew it was SO bad for the cellists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh heh heh. That's really the only song I can play :)

    ReplyDelete