Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Soup of the week: Chili


With the change of the season starting (finally!) and the advent of cooler weather, we've decided that we want to start having soup at least once a week. One of those big crockpots full - that you eat all week.

I'm pleased to say that I made my first, completely from scratch, chili yesterday. It had to cook a little longer than I thought it would for the beans to be completely softened (read: 10 hours), but the flavor was good, and it was filling. Hooray for a new experiment! I'm really excited because it was a non-recipe experience. I just made it up as I went (big deal for me - I have a hard time deviating from a recipe card).

I have a few ideas for future soups and stews, but I'd love any ideas. Let me know what your family favorites are!

4 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! And from scratch? You are so amazing (and ambitious)! That chili looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, looks delicious. I love having soups & stews when the weather starts to cool off. We had a really yummy beef stew a few weeks ago. I will email you the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love chili. I'm a big fan of chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles, poured over mashed potatoes. yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. by the way, i've read each of those books on your book list. good picks.

    ReplyDelete