Sunday, December 14, 2008

For the love of . . . Edward?

I have long loved the name Edward. Before I ever fell in love with the written word and consequently, the literary world, I liked the name Edward. Ask my husband; traditional English names are my cup of tea.


I was slow to take to the works of Jane Austen. Growing up in a house of all brothers, movies like Pride & Prejudice were barely tolerated. Even though I tried to teach my brothers “the flick is worth it if it’s with a chick,” they decided it didn’t count if that chick was your sister.


So, with my first real exposure to the wit and incisiveness of Jane Austen, I found a fast favorite in Sense & Sensibility. I will readily admit, it was the charming, shy character of Edward Ferrars, the elusive Mr. F, that I owe my initial infatuation with the works of Jane Austen, and in turn with the name Edward. The book and film of 1995 are still favorites. (“She's heading an expedition to China shortly. I'm to go as her servant. But only on the understanding that I am to be very badly treated.”)


With the Twilight following, I am happy to say I read and liked the book before it became the latest buzzward. I must admit, that Edward Cullen is a fascinating character. I was an Edward fan from the beginning. How could you not like

 him? (I know I have cousins that disagree with me on this point, but their arguments just don’t hold any water). I didn’t love the movie, but it was decent. Nothing is ever as good as you imagine it, right?


My dear husband has patiently been subjected to my love of another Edward lately. I discovered the 2006 BBC rendition of Jane Eyre, and I’ve fallen in love with the brooding, Byronic Edward Rochester. Toby Stephens is masterful in this role. It’s simply breathtaking. So, pardon the Jane Eyre kick, but I’ve been listening to the music from the musical (thank you, James Barbour, I could listen to the rich tones of your baritone all day). I think I need to read the book again. In the meantime, I will be content with the masterful film rendition of BBC. I owe them big time. I owe Toby Stephens big time. 


9 comments:

  1. I too am a huge fan of the elusive Mr. F :) I haven't seen the Twilight movie yet, someday . . . I really enjoyed reading Jane Eyre, haven't seen the movie though. I'm sure I would love it though since I love pretty much anything the BBC puts out. Well, not everything, but a lot of their things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad that Brent's middle name isn't Edward...but it doesn't mean that he can't have a nickname. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha I totally posted about this Jane Eyre version a few months ago! Seriously, isn't he the best Mr. Rochester? Mmm, I'm craving it again. "Jane and I - Miss EYRE and I..." that is my favorite line. So cute. Enjoyed your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want a brooding Rochester try the BBC version with Timothy Dalton. Very close to the book with lots of original dialogue, and in my humble opinion, far better than the newer version.

    Try also North & South by the BBC for brooding. John Thornton isn't called Edward but I'm sure you'll find it in your heart to overlook the fact!

    Laura Essendine
    Author – The Accidental Guru
    The Books Limited Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Perhaps Margaret is right."
    "Right?"
    "Piracy is our only option."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Jenny!! Amen and amen!! I love it!!!

    Miss you!! I'm so glad I saw your blog...You're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with you on the name Edward! I'll have to watch that version of Jane Eyre - haven't seen it! I liked the Twilight books too - but thought the movie was rather lame (I usually don't love the movies after I read the books - with the exception of some Jane Austen movies!).

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also good: the new Masterpiece Theatre version of Sense & Sensibility. (Search BBC TV 2008 on Amazon.) Different, but still good. Edward has amazing eyes in that one. You need to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joanna's right. The BBC Edward is even nicer than Hugh Grant's version and the relationship between Marianne and Willoughby is beautifully done. Although I loved Ang Lee's film I think the longer series does the story even more justice.

    Laura Essendine
    Author – The Accidental Guru
    The Accidental Guru Blog
    The Books Limited Blog

    ReplyDelete